NO ONE ELSE WILL EVER KNOW THE STRENGTH OF MY LOVE FOR YOU, AFTER ALL, YOU'RE THE ONLY ONE WHO KNOWS WHAT MY HEART SOUNDS LIKE FROM THE INSIDE.

Thursday, July 5, 2012

The Wonder Weeks

Someone please tell me why there is nothing in most of the popular baby books about Wonder Weeks?

They are about the most important thing a mother should know so I am going to do a really quick post about them in addition to that which I wrote earlier in my post titled Some things you ought to know as a parent- http://mummycomesithere.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/some-things-you-ought-to-know-as-parent.html.

I had a good friend of mine text me tonight saying she is going to download the Wonder Week app on her phone. Soooo glad that my advice is getting out there and helping other mums. She has a new little bubba who is drop dead gorgeous ;)

Wonder Weeks are ten predictable, age-linked leaps in your baby's mental development. And in my terms, it's a time when baby becomes remarkably more fussy, more difficult to settle and feed than usual and when their sleep is totally and utterly all over the place. It was only when my first baby was about 3 or 4 months that I discovered what these were. I had heard the term thrown around prior but wasn't following it closely and I wish I had of. My son found his own rhythm and routine pretty quickly. I had no idea what I was doing so enforcing my own routine on him wasn't possible, I was a lost soul half the time, well not that dramatically lost, but you know what I mean so when he all of a sudden wouldn't sleep all day, nothing I could do would settle him to sleep, he became fussy and agitated easily I just had no idea what was wrong. In fact there were times I thought that he was ill because he so wasn't himself. His pattern of sleep for 3 hours, awake for 2 hours went from awake for 4 hours sleep for 40 mins, rock for 3 hours, still no sleep, I think I need to drink wine at 2pm. Then all of a sudden he went back to normal. I was confused.

By the time I kind of understood what was going on I was about to start back at work and the Wonder Weeks thing kinda fell by the wayside. But once baby number 2 arrived I was ready. I had printed off the wonder weeks time line/calender, I had downloaded the app for my iphone and my ipad and I had even placed the time line inside my wardrobe right above where the undies go so I would see it EVERY SINGLE DAY. I was ready. Moreso I was ready to not let each wonder week get me so flustered and so confused and in order to do that I needed to be prepared. How glad I was that I did that as my little girl, she's a gorgeous little soul but during a wonder week... run I tells ya, run!

Now, I am not a health professional, I am just a mum of two children with a little bit of experience and advice up my sleeve. I don't claim to know anything other than the tid bits below about Wonder Weeks and for that matter information about Wonder Weeks directly might be published in some parenting books that I am not aware of, all I know is that nothing I read, nothing any of the Early Childhood Health professionals or my GP said ever mentioned Wonder Weeks. What I do know is that not all children display grossly different behaviour during a wonder week/growth spurt. I have spoken with friends who's children never even batted an eyelid during a scheduled wonder week and others who had considerably difficult with almost all aspects of being a parent during that time. Every baby is different as is every parent. I just hope this helps. PS: wonder weeks can actually be wonder months, sorry to break the bad news, you'll see, just read below.

To follow the Wonder Weeks, as mentioned above, you can down load the app, purchase their books or use their website and sign up for alerts and their newsletter.

Below I have the copy of what I have stuck up in my wardrobe. This isn't from the Wonder Weeks website, unfortunately I don't know who I can credit for this, someone out there in google land no doubt.


Wonder Weeks and Fussy Periods:


·                     Wonder Week 5 - fussiness starts around 5 weeks and usually lasts 1-7 days.

·                     Wonder Week 8 - fussiness starts around 8 weeks and usually lasts 3-14 days

·                     Wonder Week 12 - fussiness starts around 12 weeks/2.8 months and usually lasts 1-7 days

·                     Wonder Week 19 - fussiness starts around 15 weeks/3.5 months, peeks at 17 weeks and skills appear around 19 weeks. It usually lasts 1-6 weeks **From now on Fussy periods will last longer than previously

·                     Wonder Week 26 - fussiness starts around 23 weeks/5.3 months, peeks at 26 weeks and skills appear around 26 weeks. It usually lasts 1-5 weeks

·                     Weeks 29/30 or 6.8 months - This isn't actually a Wonder Week, but many babies act fussy during this time as they begin to understand that their mommy can leave them. Just thought I'd let you know :)

·                     Wonder Week 37 - fussiness starts around 34 weeks/7.8 months, peeks at 36 weeks and skills appear around 37 weeks. It usually lasts 3-6 weeks

·                     Wonder Week 46 - fussiness starts around 42 weeks/9.7 months, peeks at 44 weeks and skills appear around 46 weeks. It usually lasts 3-7 weeks

·                     Wonder Week 55 - fussiness starts around 51 weeks/11.7 months, often peeks at 53 weeks and skills appear around 55 weeks. It usually lasts 3-6 weeks

·                     Wonder Week 64 / 14.7 months

·                     Wonder Week 75 / 17.2 months

·                     Over 20 months - Other wonder weeks have been documented throughout childhood. It is also suspected that adults even go through some wonder weeks.

 GROWTH SPURTS

Growth spurts in a young baby are expected to occur at:

 3days
 7days
2-3 weeks
6 weeks
3 months
6 months

No comments:

Post a Comment